My name is Bob McGarrah. I was born in 1953 and grew up in the small town of Canton, Illinois. I graduated from Canton Senior High School in 1971 and received my bachelors degree from Bradley University in Electrical Engineering Technology in 1976. I am a registered Professional Engineer and a member of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). I have been in the electric utility business since 1972 when I became a college co-op student at the Central Illinois Light Company in Peoria, Illinois. St. Louis based Ameren Corporation purchased CILCO in 2003 and I presently work for them as a transmission planning engineer.
One of my favorite hobbies is working on electronic projects and collecting historic artifacts from the early era of semiconductors (late 1940′s to early 1960′s). Among my favorite items are old transistors (the actual devices), and early transistorized equipment. I am also a licensed amateur radio operator (KB9CPH).
No part of the information contained on this web site may be reproduced, adapted or otherwise copied in any form without the permission of the author. These articles are intended to provide reference material for collectors and historians. They are not to be used in auction descriptions and I cannot provide appraisals of similar items. Thank you for understanding and respecting my wishes!
I hope you enjoy reading the following hobby/history information which I have researched:
WHY I HAVE PUBLISHED THESE WEB PAGES
Bob’s Transistor History 101
- 1948 Popular Science Transistor Article
- 1951 Bell Telephone Laboratories Transistor Symposium
- 1953 Commercial Transistor Data Chart
- 1953 Reader’s Digest Transistor Article
- 1953 Western Electric 5 year History Article
- 1954 Philco Transistor Data Manual
- 1956 Fisher Hi-Fi Preamp
- 1956 Jackson Code Practice Oscillator
- 1956 Lafayette Transistor Tester
- Transistor Manufacturer Identification Codes
- Transistors From around The World
- Collection 1 – Transistors
- Collection 2 – Transistor Hearing Aids
- Collection 3 – Transistor Radios
- Miscellaneous electronic hardware
If you enjoyed your visit and would like to write to me please follow the email directions below.
I am also trying to research McGarrah family history as time permits. Please visit my genealogy page and contact me if you have questions and/or new information. Thanks!
Thanks for stopping by! If you have comments or questions please send e-mail to
On the web since April, 1995